The UIC Library and the Office of the Provost are pleased to offer a subscription to the NY Times Academic Pass to anyone with a valid UIC email address.
Register for Your Free Academic Pass
- Go to https://proxy.cc.uic.edu/login?url=https://ezmyaccount.nytimes.com/grouppass/redir.
- Authenticate with your UIC netid and password.
- On the next screen, click “Create an Account” to register using your UIC email address.
Please note: If you already have a NY Times account (free or paid) tied to your UIC email, you will need to unlink your UIC email from that account before signing up for your Academic Pass (see Unlinking Your UIC Email Address for more details). For free accounts, it may also work sometimes that you can click on "Already have an account? Log in Here" and transfer to the Academic Pass.
- The password you create for the New York Times should not be your UIC password.
You will receive a welcome email. You must click the confirmation link in the email to complete this process.
Once your registration is complete, you can navigate directly to nytimes.com from any web-enabled device and log in.
Renewing Your Pass
- Passes expire after a year. When you get the notice that you no longer have access, simply click on the url in step 1 above again and reauthenticate with your UIC netid and password, then click on "Already have an account' and login.
- Once you have created your NYTimes.com login, download any NYT app from your device's app store and use the same NYT credentials for unlimited access.
- Academic Passes do NOT include print copies, e-reader editions, Premium Crosswords, or the NY Times Crossword or cooking apps. Only some cooking information is available.
- Academic Passes offer unlimited access to articles published 1981-present. There are no daily limits.
- Academic Passes offer limited access to articles from 1923 to 1980 (5 articles per day). However, the UIC Library has a separate subscription to the New York Times Archive (1851-2012), and there is no limit to accessing historical articles via that interface.
Canceling a Personal Subscription
If you have a personal subscription that includes features not available through the Academic Pass (see Restrictions), you may not want to cancel your subscription.
To cancel your personal subscription, call NY Times customer service at 1-800-NYTIMES or, if you subscribed through iTunes, follow these instructions. There may be other things you have to do, depending on the device you have been using to read the NY Times. If you had an annual subscription, you will receive a refund for the unused portion of the year. If you had a monthly subscription, you will not receive a refund for the month in which you cancel.
Unlinking Your UIC Email Address from an Existing NY Times Account
If you already have a NY Times account (free or paid) tied to your UIC email, you may need to unlink your UIC email from that account before signing up for your Academic Pass.
- Log in to nytimes.com
- Click on your username in the top right corner
- Select “My Account”; select "Change Email." Replace your UIC address with a non-UiC email address and save.
- You can now use your UIC email address to register for your Academic Pass by following the registration instructions above.
Please take advantage of this fantastic offer, and spread the word among your UIC students and colleagues! If you have questions or problems creating an account, contact the Library.
Thanks to Melissa Olson, Digital Initiatives Librarian/Head of Archives, University of Wisconsin-Parkside for originating this guide.