Skip to Main Content

A Guide to the University Archives

The University of Illinois Chicago Special Collections & University Archives

Items We Do Not Accept

Documents which generally should not be donated without prior consultation with the University Archivist include:

  • Detailed financial records:
    canceled checks, statements, and receipts;
  • Routine correspondence:
    especially non-personally addressed correspondence and routine communication of transmittal and acknowledgment unless that correspondence is about professional work;
  • Grade books, class rosters, and student work:
    student work is the property of the student and may not be transferred to the UIC Archives without a signed deed of gift from the student;
  • Duplicates and multiple copies:
    articles, publications, and course materials; note: keep only the original and heavily annotated copies;
  • Drafts and galleys of publications and speeches:  
    unless the final publication or presentation is unavailable or the draft documents are a major shift from the final version or they are extremely annotated;
  • Work by other people:
    books, research papers, theses and dissertations, journal articles, and reprints;
  • Research notes and data:
    bibliographic notes and notes on readings; and
  • Artifacts and memorabilia:
    the University Archives does not collect non-documentary objects except in cases of great importance.  Accepted items must be of a manageable physical size and condition. 

This list is intended as a general guide.  Broad variations in personal papers exist.  A consult with the University Archivist is recommended to determine how your files relate to these guidelines. Please contact the University Archivist.