Completing a folder-level inventory
Use the same inventory template the Records and Information Management Services (RIMS) team uses to inventory records. However, you will need to expand the inventory for the boxes you're sending to the UIC Archives. Inventory each box at the folder level, meaning all the folders in a box are listed on a separate line of the spreadsheet. This will allow details about your records to be ingested into the Special Collections and University Archives database.
If you have not contacted them before, please follow-up with the RIMS team first.
However, if you have already met with the RIMS team in the past, you may use their inventory template to list the permanent records for transfer to the University Archives. Remember, list each folder in each box on a separate line. Here's the steps:
- Save the inventory workbook with the name of your unit and the date (YYYY-MM-DD).
- Read the Directions-File Level Inventory sheet in the Excel workbook.
- Complete the information in lines 3 & 5 on the Inventory Form Template sheet.
- Make a copy of the Inventory Form Template sheet for each box.
- Rename the tab for each sheet with Box 1, Box 2, Box 3, etc.
- In the Object Identifier column, use the box and folder number (1-1, 1-2, 1-3, etc.)
- Once all the boxes have been inventoried, forward the Excel workbook to the University Archivist with a request to schedule a delivery time. Be sure to build in time for the University Archivist to review your inventory before delivery.