Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Your browser is unsupported
We recommend using the latest version of IE11, Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari.
There are a few ways to ask one of the Special Collections Librarians for assistance:
- Click on the blue tab at the bottom right of your browser screen, titled "Chat with a Librarian"
- Email Us
- Call us at (312) 996.2742 for Special Collections and University Archives at Daley library, or (312) 996.8977 for Special Collections at Library of Health Sciences
Special Collections and University Archives at Daley Library
801 S. Morgan Chicago, IL 60607, Room 3-330
Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 10am-4:30pm; Wednesday 10am-7pm ; Saturdays 12:30pm-4:30pm during the school year.
Special Collections and University Archives at Library of the Health Sciences-Chicago
1750 W. Polk St., Chicago, IL 60612
Hours: Monday-Friday 10am-4:30pm
Research in UIC Special Collections and University Archives
Special Collections at the Daley Library houses collections of rare books, manuscripts, photographs, and artifacts with a focus on the social, political, and cultural history of Chicago. The strengths of the manuscript collection include the history of the Hull-House settlement; A Century of Progress World’s Fair; Chicago design history; Midwest women’s history; and the history of African Americans in Chicago.
Special Collections at the Library of Health Sciences documents Chicago’s rich history as a center for the education and practice of the medical arts. Particular strengths of the rare books, manuscripts, photographs and artifacts are nursing history and plastic surgery history, among others.
The University Archives at both locations is the depository for historical records of UIC and contains selected papers of prominent faculty, staff, students, and alumni.
When You Visit
- You will fill out the Researcher Registration form on your first visit. Photo ID required.
- Ask at the front desk for a locker key to place your belongings such as coats and book bags. Only bring in material you need to complete your research. Laptops, notebooks, and digital cameras are permitted. Please use only pencil when taking notes (the Reading Room staff can provide pencils)
- Food or drink is not permitted in the reading room
- Please keep your cell phone on vibrate or silent. If you receive a call, please take the call outside of the reading room
- Please use only one box at a time. Please take only one folder out of a box at a time. This will ensure that all folders are returned to the correct box in the correct order
- Ask for white cotton gloves if you will be handling photographs.
- Please handle all materials delicately.
- Photocopies are available for .25 cents per page, or scans for .50 cents per page. Library staff will do all photocopying for you. Due to staffing levels it might be 2-3 days before we can complete your order. Please ask the Reading Room Staff about the procedure to request photocopies.
- Researchers may bring their own digital camera in order to take pictures of materials subject to compliance with our posted procedures. This can be done in lieu of ordering photocopies. There is no charge, we just ask that you fill out the Digital Camera Usage form agreeing to fair use copyright.
- Remember the Reading Room Staff is always available for questions and will be glad to assist you!