Much like in a museum, an exhibit in Omeka takes the material you've gathered and allows you to build a story or an argument around it. Using an exhibit, you can curate the user's interactions with your material. For example, if you have a collection of letters, you can pair them with photographs of their authors and historical context on the period in which they were written. That allows your user to understand the material better than if they were encountering it as a single item or even in a collection with other letters.
Omeka exhibits can be as simple or as complicated as you would like, depending on how much time you want to spend on customization.
Before you begin these steps, please visit the Plugins page of this guide for steps on downloading plugins. You will need to complete that process before starting the following steps.
1. From your dashboard, select "Plugins."
2. Next to the plugin "Exhibit Builder," select "Activate." It should then show up in the left menu.
3. Select "Exhibits" and then "Add an Exhibit" to start a new exhibit.
4. On this page, you can begin customizing your exhibit.
Note: A "slug" refers to the end of a url name, after the backslash.
5. To create pages for your exhibit, select "Add Page" at the bottom of the screen. From here, you can customize the layout and other elements.