An ORCID iD is a unique and persistent identifier for researchers -- ORCID provides a persistent digital identifier that distinguishes you from every other researcher and, through integration in key research workflows such as manuscript and grant submission, supports automated linkages between you and your professional activities ensuring that your work is recognized. (ORCID.org)
Having an ORCID iD will help:
- Make your work discoverable by others
- Provides a means to distinguish between you and other authors with identical or similar names.
- Links together all of your works even if you have used different names over the course of your career.
- Makes it easy for others (grant funders, other researchers etc.) to find your research output.
- Ensures that your work is clearly attributed to you.
- Can help you minimize repetitive data entering - when submitting manuscripts for publication or applications for grants - systems using an ORCID ID will use ORCID to help pre-populate information.