Woman's Peace Party, 1915-1916
The Woman's Peace Party was founded in 1915 in Washington DC, by a group of American woman pacifists. Jane Addams was elected the first Chairman. Other members included Mary McDowell, Florence Kelly, Alice Hamilton, Anna Howard Shaw, Emily Balch, Edith Abbott, Grace Abbott, Carrie Chapman Catt and Sophonisba Breckinridge. By 1917, membership had increased to 40,000 members. The Woman's Peace Party was headquartered in Chicago. In 1919, it became the U.S. section of the Women's International League for Peace and Freedom.