Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Your browser is unsupported
We recommend using the latest version of IE11, Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari.
What is ORCID?
An ORCID iD is a unique and persistent identifier for researchers -- ORCID provides a persistent digital identifier that distinguishes you from every other researcher and, through integration in key research workflows such as manuscript and grant submission, supports automated linkages between you and your professional activities ensuring that your work is recognized. (ORCID.org)
Having an ORCID iD will help:
- Make your work discoverable by others
- Provides a means to distinguish between you and other authors with identical or similar names.
- Links together all of your works even if you have used different names over the course of your career.
- Makes it easy for others (grant funders, other researchers etc.) to find your research output.
- Ensures that your work is clearly attributed to you.
- Can help you minimize repetitive data entering - Streamline submissions to publishers, grant funders, and associations, which increasingly integrate ORCIDs and send data to your profile
Where are ORCID IDs Used?
- By publishers in manuscript submission and data repositories
- By some professional societies to manage membership, authorship and conferences
- By some funding agencies such as the National Institutes of Health (NIH) to facilitate forms submission. For example, ORCID iDs can be linked to SciENcv to generate the required biosketch.
- By some metrics tools, such as impactstory.org. Add ORCID to you Impact Story profile to import your citation information - and view to see altmetrics displayed for your publications.
- By researcher profile tools.
Create an ORCID Account Today!
Registration for an ORCID ID takes less than 30 seconds!
- Go to https://orcid.org/register
- Fill in the required fields
- Choose your privacy settings (you can change them later too)
- Decide if you want notifications on News
- See Using ORCID for more on managing and entering your information.
You will be provided with a 16-digit number, expressed as a URI, - this is your ORCID ID.