Abigail Goben joined the University of Illinois-Chicago Health Sciences Library in December 2010. Her primary liaison responsibilities are to the College of Dentistry and the Institute for Juvenile Research.
Goben earned her Masters in Library Science from St. John's University in Queens in 2005. She also holds a Bachelor's Degree in English from Long Island University: C.W. Post Campus. She is a member of the American Library Association, the Library and Information Technology Association, the Association for College and Research Libraries, the Association for Information Science and Technoloy, the Medical Library Association Midwest Chapter, the American Dental Education Association, the Library Society of the World, and the Code4Lib Community.
My research is focused on data science and it's influences on and usage by librarians and social networking as a component of professional development.
As an Information Services Librarian I provide reference and research support to health sciences faculty and students though a variety of in person and online venues, including classroom instruction and individual consultations. I am also currently participating in intiatives to faciliate management, preservation and expanded use of research data as these areas grow in relevance to our research community. As the liaison to the College of Dentistry, I hold office hours at the College to answer student and faculty questions and co-teach the Evidence Based Practice course for the first year students.
Currently I serve as Chair for the Education Committee of the Library Information Technology Assocation, which is a division of the American Library Association. Further I am a member of the Association for College and Research Libraries; the Association for Information Science and Technology, the Midwest Chapter of the Medical Library Association; the American Dental Education Association; the Library Society of the World; and the Code4Lib National, Midwest, and Chicago communities.
At UIC I am a member of the
- Data Storage Task Force February 2015-present
- Curating Library Data Task Force (appointed) January 2015-present
- Library of the Health Sciences Informatics Committee (appointed) August 2014-present
- Library of the Health Sciences Liaison Inreach Committee (appointed) August 2014-present
- Faculty Development Allocation Committee (elected) August 2013-August 2015 [Chair 2014-2015]
- University of Illinois Hospital and Health System Guidelines and Protocols Oversight Committee January 2013-present
- Digital Content Management and Preservation Task Force (appointed) November 2012-present
- Scholarly Communications Committee (appointed) September 2011-present
- Library Data Management Task Force (appointed) June 2012-present
- Data Interviews Profiles Development Sub Task Force November 2014-present
- Health Sciences Library Data Committee August 2014-present